Sunday, December 27, 2009


Team Diabetes Race Report. On Nov 8 '09 I failed to finish the Athens Classic Marathon. The day began very early at 4am. Our team headed to the Olympic Stadium at 5am to get on the buses to transfer us to the start line. Unfortunately it was 15C and pouring buckets. Everyone was soaked by the time we got onto the buses. A chilly 45 minutes later we were standing in garbage bags shivering at the start line. A two hour wait later we were off. I think the wet and cold really contributed to the end result. I knew within the first few kilometers that I was going to have trouble. The aches and pains I usually feel after 20km were beginning really early. I think my legs had cramped up. The woman that I was running left me behind and I was on my own fairly early. The pack kept thinning out until I couldn't see anyone else competing in front or behind me. I also learnt early on that the race closed at a six-hour-pace not at six hours. This meant that there were no course markers, water, powerade, bananas, gels, medics, etc. for most of the race. I had counted on the electrolyte replacements so this lead to me feeling really sick later on. At one point I was hit from behind by a bicyclist. Around that time I was feeling uncomfortable with my situation. I stopped, sat down and waited for the next people to come by. Luckily they spoke english. I power-walked with a father-daughter team until the race officials aggressively suggested we get into their van. After a drive to the finish line I walked back to the hotel quite emotionally upset.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

MarthaCRS said...

Im sorry to hear that you did not finish your race. However, I am proud of you for posting it and sharing it with the world. I did this race for the first time, along with my first marathon this past October 31, 2010. Even though I was one of the finishers there were 3000 who were not able to finish. My thoughts we with each and everyone of them. Thank you for you for your courage.

Taylor said...

Thank you for your kind words! It made my day!

Congrats on your first marathon finish! I'm looking to attempt another marathon (preferably a nice flat one!) sometime at the end of 2011 or early 2012.

Check out my "non-Team Diabetes blog" at http://sporadicsprinter.wordpress.com chronically my running and fitness interests.