Sunday, October 04, 2009

Longest Run Yet. Yesterday I set out on a four hour journey to complete my second highest training long run yet - 29km (18miles). I woke up to cold pouring rain and so I procrastinated until 4pm until it stopped (luckily for me it didn't rain the whole time I was out!). I started out strong. I felt better than I did during my two runs earlier this week. I met Dave 1:30 in to swap for more water/gatorade and a granola bar and some tylenol. I then completed another suburban loop. I didn't feel as strong and I started to double my walking breaks. A mile or two past the half-marathon point (21.1km or 13miles) I starting calling around during my walk breaks to hear someone other than my own thoughts for a change. I was starting to feel it and I needed a little "go Taylor go" encouragement. Luckily I got a hold of my dad which also had the extra benefit of arranging to the use of his hot tub later that evening. I met up with Dave once more for some more liquid/granola and head out to finish the last three miles. I basically grunted the whole way through the last 3 miles - I had no shame. I once had a conversation with my marathon-running uncle about the sport and his best advice was to "just keep going." At the time I thought "well obviously - that helps" but during those last three I repeated my new mantra many times. As much as I was grunting, cold, and exhausted I think I could have pushed out another 13km out of sheer determination and stubbornness in order to complete a marathon. I was very happy and proud to complete the 29km run. I had a big bowl of pasta to celebrate.

I have one more monsterous training run left before the big 42.2km race. The most I will ever run before I reach Athens is 32km or 20miles. You are, in theory, supposed to have the rest in you somewhere.

No comments: