Monday, April 17, 2006

New Shoes! I was hoping to get shoe shopping before the Easter weekend but then I saw the Vector cereal commercial – buy some cereal and get a 20% coupon from the Running Room. Awesome! Check out http://www.getrunready.ca for more info. (The site also has tips on running and nutrition.) So today I found a vector box and headed to the Running Room. The staff was very helpful and found me the perfect shoes. Cute Too!

With my brand new shoes I headed out for a jog along my old route. Even though this was only my second time out I went from 40% jog and 60% walk to 50/50. I also jogged/walked the whole way back this time. I would say that this is progress! I found some similarities with my first attempt. First, I got the same cramp in my midsection just below my right ribs. Second, my right ankle started to cramp up again in almost exactly the same location. This time I stopped and rolled my ankle around for 5 minutes and it was completely fine. I think I should just roll my ankles before I head out for attempt three. Any suggestions?


FINALLY…I received some words of wisdom in the mail today from Nel Peach, Team Diabetes Alumni x2. Thank You! I love hearing kind words from strangers; it helps me to get out on the trail and it gives me the motivation I need to finish my fundraising goals.

3 comments:

Jena said...

You definitely should stretch before you run:) Try rolling your ankles, stretching your calves, touching your toes, jumping up and down in place, etc.

I run cross country and it's NOT a good idea to run without stretching first--you'll pull a muscle!

And the cramps/side stitches? They tend to go away if you can pull the whole "mind over matter" thing, and just try to run until it goes away.

I usually find that I get cramps in various places, one at a time...[right side, stomach, left side, etc], until my body runs out of places to cramp up, and then I'm fine for the rest of my run. :)

Make sure when you finish to stretch out too, or else you'll be super sore!

Aaaand, if you have really sore muscles, or a sore ankle, you can do what cross people do--get a ziploc bag full of ice, and put it on wherever it's sore. Leave it for about ten to fifteen minutes, then take it off. It'll help to reduce the swelling, whether it's inside or outside the body.

:)

Hope this helps, and good luck with the running! It'll get easier with time!

Jena said...

Oh yeah! Keep a log of the miles that you run...If you have 123 days until the marathon, you need to keep an eye on your shoes!

Don't go cheap, it'll hurt you in the long run...And you need to replace your shoes after you have ran 500 miles in them, because the padding, etc is not good anymore.

Trust me! :)

Taylor said...

Ah yes stretching! I came home and that's exactly what my boyfriend told me. I figured because I wasn't going too far that it didn't matter....okay well that's what my laziness told me.

Life lessons learnt. stretch more, feel better!

Thanks for the tips!