Saturday, July 22, 2006

Fun in the Sun

Not one for 7am jogs to beat the heat I’ve switched up my workouts swimming lengths instead of jogging. For the last week in Ottawa, with humidity the temperature has been at least 30C (minimum)! Peak days at 45C --> Smog and heat warnings galore. Although it’s a bit tedious, I find swimming lengths quite enjoyable. It gives me an undistracted time to think. There’s not much distraction at the bottom of the pool. I think I’ll continue with swimming lengths once the heat subsides to pair with my jitsu class (if I have time!).

Yesterday Charles and I spent the day at Mont Cascades Water Park! We definitely got a workout walking up the hills to get to the slides; oh and carrying those heavy tubes! Favorite slide of the day unquestionably goes to “Black Magic.” At the end of the slide it felt like we were going to flip off the tube; and that’s not paranoia speaking, we saw more than a few people bail. Ouch. Sad to say we skipped the sunscreen and now I have a red reminder of the day. My shoulders and back are still red and sore so I’m skipping any conceivable jog/swim or any unnecessary movement until it heals. Oh aloe vera my tried and tested friend.

3 comments:

DerekTheRunner said...

30c with humidex? I should be so lucky! Right now the weather network on my site says it is 33c with a feels like of 37c! My thermometer in the shade ouside of my house says 40c and it feels about 45c. I think I will stay indoors as well today. Ouch! I do plan on a long run tomorrow at 6am though!

Taylor said...

no way man, 30 was the min. We had two or three days in a row at 40-45C with humidex.

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»