Monday, July 03, 2006


46 Days until I leave for Reykjavik, Iceland!!


As the Reykjavik Race draws near I have been researching activities and accommodation in Iceland. As part of Team Diabetes, my flights and accommodation for 3 nights has already been arranged for me (and my dad on his coin), however we’ve decided to extend my stay in the country to continue to travel on our own. Although it’s extremely touristy, I’m very interested in the “Golden Circle;” most notably the Gullfoss waterfall and Geysir. My dad really wants to check out one of Iceland’s many volcanoes. Mt. Helka is an active volcano which last erupted in 2000. There is a non-technical hiking trail to the summit. Although I’m game, I’m not sure if my dad is interested in the approx. 8 hour return hike. Apparently it’s possible to drive part way up the mtn. making it a 3 hour return hike but only if conditions are good. There are many more interesting places to visit in my view such as Landmannalaugar, Heimaey Island, Skafafell National Park and Jokulsarlon.



There are several tours leaving Reykjavik touring the Golden Circle or traveling to see “Fire and Ice,” volcanoes and glaciers. As with much of Iceland many of these tours seem overpriced. I am currently trying to find an affordable car rental (which fits my 6’4” dad!). I’m sure with a good map and my lonely planet guide we could navigate this easily. If anyone Team Diabetes Iceland folk are interested in touring something similar let me know, the more the merrier!

….While we’re in the neighborhood….

While arranging flights to Iceland from Toronto, my dad’s travel agent informed him of the various gateway cities to get there (no direct flight apparently). He could travel via Boston, London, Amsterdam, Oslo and various other US and European cities. Of course this introduces the rational: If I have a connection in Europe, why not stay a day or two? The original plan was to explore Oslo in Norway for two days, but coordinating our flights became complicated. The additional cost and time layover made it a no go. Instead my dad and I will be spending a week in Iceland and then I’ll continue on to the UK for a week by myself. I have some friends in London and in the country however most of them are busy the entire week that I’m there! L Hopefully I’ll be able to find some cool people in a hostel and tour around together. Any tips for traveling around the UK?

No comments: