Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have. --Doris Mortman
I’ve been concerned about my weight for a while now. I stepped on the scale a few days ago and discovered that I have reached a new maximum. 185lbs. How the hell did that happen? On average my weight usually settles around 150-160lbs and that suits me just fine. So what’s a girl to do?

I enlisted a girlfriend and headed to the local Curves center. Apparently you need an appt. but the lady told us about it anyways. We both determined that this program was not for us in probably the first 30 seconds. At the student rate it costs $150 just for the priviledge of joining plus an additional $42/month. For all this moola you get to do the famous Curves circuit. 30 minutes, 3 times a week. I was disappointed that the strength training machines were only hydraulic and therefore limits improvement for the future. In addition the diet portion of the program was running only in September and cost an additional $99. Moreover, it seemed to be based on or similar to the Atkins diet, which as a vegetarian is completely unrealistic.

Feeling a little disappointed in Curves, I thought I’d check out the other alternative. LA weight loss center. I dropped in and had a chat with their consultant Katy. She explained the whole program very well and I think it would work for me….But you have to sign up for a year at $15/week with the money up-front, a whooping $742! Oh and that was the cheapest option, the only one totaled approximately $1100. Ouch. This was actually tempting for me although I was very on the fence about the whole thing. Considering that I’m very serious about my trip to Africa, $742 is a lot of money to spend! I was considering opening a new savings account and depositing $60/month. If I haven’t lost the weight in a year then I’ll make my way to LA Weight Loss Centre. If I have, I get to spend some money guilt free.

So all in all the tours of the weight loss centers was disappointing. I guess there is a reason that this industry makes so much money.

No comments: