Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Disaster is Dublin.

I arrived in Dublin on Aug 24th at about midnight. Gatwick was a disaster. Security was reasonable but I had to wait, and wait for the screen to tell me which gate I was supposed to go to in order to board my plane. It didn’t do so until 10mins before departure along with the other two planes going to Dublin as well. This caused a mad dash for the gates which basically caused gridlock in the hallway to gates 6-10. Everyone was pushy because they thought they were going to miss their plane…..until finally someone explained that we were all going to the same place and no one is going to miss their planes. We stayed in the gridlock another 30-40mins and finally boarded the plane. Like herding sheep but badly.

In the morning I left my hostel to meet up with my tour group. I didn’t have to go far and go directions from the front desk (left, right, left and so on) except I went out the wrong side of the building and was therefore hopelessly lost in no time. And then it started to rain. And then it started to pour. Great. I asked some people for directions. Occasionally people contradicted each other sending me more off course than I was to begin with. I want to take a taxi but time and time they were all full. At least 30 of them. I was very, very frustrated and wet. I was lost in the rain a total of an hour and subsequently missed the tour. &*#$!!!!. Not a happy Taylor. Luckily they had a day hike leaving in 15mins and I could go on that but I had to arrange my meals and accommodation. I called three hostels which were full and then they called an additional 10 and finally found me a place to stay. Relief. I was to meet up with my own tour in the morning to go hiking in the Mourne Mountains. I sadly missed going to the giant’s causeway (something that I was very excited about). But it will give me reason to come back someday.

Feeling better – and hiking in Glendalough.

The day hike south of Dublin was very nice; although it did require climbing approximately 1000 steps up a mountain! It rained the entire time but I had rain gear and wasn’t bothered. The only thing is that we missed out on the view because of the mist. I assumed it was very pretty. Imagination goes a long way.

































No comments: