Saturday, August 12, 2006

Travel Plans.

Countdown to Iceland. In less than a week on August 16th I’ll be getting on a plane on my way to ICELAND!! Transport, airport layover and time change combined I don’t actually get to Reykjavik until 3pm the next day; but it’s worth it!

Team Diabetes has a nice little itinerary for us for the first three days including a dip in the blue lagoon, a pre and post race dinner, and of course the big race! My dad and I extended our travels for a few more days with the cost and itinerary on us. We hope to rent a car and then well drive East. I hope to hit up Geysir, Gullfoss, Mt. Helka, Heimaey Island, Skogar, Skaftafell and/or Jokulsarlon. Quite ambitious I think but at least some maybe I’ll get to see. Originally my dad called up National car rental and they quoted $800cad for four days!! LOL oh Iceland why must you be so expensive? I’ve since found something in the $400cad range but still. We will see. It stills seems less expensive than the overpriced tours. I hate big bus tours; it feels like cattle-herding.

At the end of the 6 days in Iceland my dad and I will part ways and I will head to London. I have only one day in London planned. Originally I was going to stay in England for a full 7 days but I kept asking myself exactly what I was going to do. I’m more into eco-tourism than I am into old buildings. I’d take a waterfall over an old church any day. Long extensive obsessed search on goggle and new plan – Ireland! After this search I started to wonder how people traveled in the “old days.” Lol Thank you Google!

Ireland. I’m to land in Dublin on the 24th of August. I have a 3 day hike in the Mourne mountains booked (I got the last spot!) with Dirty Boots Treks. I hope to spend one day after that around Dublin being a tourist, looking at a castle or whatever and the 7 storey Guinness storehouse etc. etc. Maybe a daytrip somewhere the day afterwards, either another hike or a cattle-herding bus tour. And then I’m on a flight back to London, a frantic transport between Gatwick and Heathrow airports and a flight back to Canada on the 30th. Excellent!

No comments: