Tuesday, August 22, 2006

SouthEast Iceland

Yesterday our first stop was at a black sand beach near Vik and a helpful dog guided us to all the good places. He followed our car from a farm about a half km away. He would run a bit and then wait for us to catch up. When we climbed some boulders he showed us where all the good rocks were.
He was my buddy. The rock formations at the beach were very cool. Like columns in the rock. I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare to the Giant's Causeway columns in Ireland. It was wonderful to be on a black sand beach but I was still hoping for a palm tree. How touristy of me.

Farther down the road at Vik we picked up some hitchhikers from France. Then we drove for hours through a flat boring lava flow. Kind of like driving to Timmins but with no trees. The lava fields were cool for the first ten minutes. When we finally arrived at Skaftafell National Park I was a bit underwhelmed. I've been to the columbia icefields in Banff and therefore I've been spoiled with magnificent glaciers before. We made a 5 km hike up the the tongue of a glacier but was unable to cross the river to go up and touch it. Bummer. There were tours available for glacier walks but we decided to take a pass. 3-5 hours seems a bit much to be walking on a glacier.

The four of us continued east until we reached the glacier lagoon. Oh-my-God. I've seen the postcards of this place but it doesn't do it justice. Postcards you figure are from some photographer who stayed at the same spot forever to get the perfect shot in gorgeous weather with the right light. Well in this place - it is always the right shot. The pictures just don't do it justice. It was amazing. Probably the highlight of my entire trip. We spent some time walking around the lagoon, stopping for lunch and taking a boat tour. Then we travelled the 2 boring hours back through the lava field desert back to Vik.





















No comments: