Wednesday, August 23, 2006

SouthEast Iceland Part 2

Yesterday was a slow day by our travel standards. Up until now we've been cramming everything in the little time that we have here in this gorgeous country. We started the day by exploring the cliffs by the ocean just outside of Vik. We have been on a search for the supposed 10million Puffins that nest along the south coast. Until this day I hadn't seen a single one. The lonely planet book said that they nest until the middle of August and then leave, almost over night. Apparently they knew the canadians were coming to town. On this day we found some! They are very cute. I thought they would be more penquin size but they're smaller. Dad was looking to eat one while I just wanted to keep one. (Puffin is a very popular dish)

Down the road aways on the way back to Reykjavik we stopped at a glacier. Disappointed not being able to touch the first one we were determined to get on this one. I went around the front and dad the side. Dad succeeded and roamed around the outer edge; he found out quickly that the dirty black ice is still slippery! My mission around the front gave me some great views but alas there was a river all the way around the front. I gave up.

We made it back to the capital and went on yet another mission: To find a restaurant that had both vegetarian options and something weird for dad to eat (whale, puffin, ram's testicles etc.). After checking out menus for a while, I had a bowl of pasta at a local pub and dad had whale shish-kabobs at a lobster shack. Not satisfied with the whale, we went and found "putrified shark" at a grocery store. From my undertanding putrified shark is made when they bury shark meat in some sand and leave it there for 6 months. Yum. Rotten Shark. Guess how it tasted - rotten. LOL I had to move away when dad opened the bag it was so bad. Two bites and that was the end of it. Gross.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this why you wanted to bring me some putrified shark. lol

That's hilerious