Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hiking in the Mourne Mountains.

What have I signed up for? The group I was with for the day hike to glendalough was your average tourist group. A couple Americans, a bunch of swedens, some brits and me, the Canadian. Everyone was going at a normal pace. Very relaxed, enjoying the scenery and such. The Mourne mountain clan consisted of mainly locals from in and around Dublin and 5 people from France living and working in Dublin. These people signed up not for the travelling and scenery – but for the hiking. Wow - were these people hardcore. If there is hiking equipment, these people had it. Although I was questioning the logic of carrying metal hiking poles to the highest summit in Northern Ireland in a rainstorm – but maybe that’s just me. Luckily one woman was just as slow as I was and we kept pace pretty well until it came to the summiting a mountain part. I was a little slower at this part. Although I wasn’t feeling at all pressured to kept up with the insanely fit pack, I was minorly annoyed that anytime I caught up it was time to go again – that’s nice they got a break…..

The mountains were breathtaking and I enjoying the scenery very much. Over two days our group summitted 3 or 4 different mountains in the region. My feet will never be the same.







No comments: